COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State suspended Carlos Hyde for at least the first three games of the upcoming season on Tuesday, hours after Columbus police closed an alleged assault case against the star running back.
Ohio State announced the suspension in a team release, stating that Hyde will have to "fulfill additional obligations" before he can return to the Buckeyes.
"Our players are taught to walk away," Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said Wednesday during a visit to ESPN in Bristol, Conn. "(Hyde's) punishment was because he didn't walk away."
Ohio State's first three games are against Buffalo, San Diego State and California. The earliest date that Hyde, a preseason Doak Walker Award candidate, can play is Sept. 21, when the Buckeyes host Florida A&M.
Earlier Tuesday, Columbus police spokesman Sgt. Rich Weiner said the alleged assault victim chose not to pursue charges against Hyde, the Buckeyes' leading scorer and second-leading rusher a year ago.
"We were in the middle of our investigation," Weiner said. "The most important thing left to do was interview the [alleged] victim. She met with investigators on Saturday and informed officers that she didn't want to pursue charges."
Weiner said the case against Hyde was officially closed.
Hyde, who had been listed as a person of interest in the case, originally was suspended from all team activities in the wake of the incident, which allegedly occurred July 20 at a downtown bar.
Hyde, a 6-foot-2, 242-pound senior from Naples, Fla., scored 17 touchdowns to lead the Buckeyes to a 12-0 record last fall. He gained 970 yards on 185 carries, coming within 30 yards of becoming the first running back in Meyer's coaching career to reach 1,000 yards in a season.
Clearing that milestone this season was a goal Hyde didn't shy away from during spring practice, but he won't have a full season to try to reach it now. Hyde still is expected to form one of the most dangerous inside-outside rushing combinations in the country with quarterback Braxton Miller this fall.
Information from ESPN.com's Austin Ward, ESPN's Joe Schad and Brett McMurphy, and The Associated Press was used in this report.