Joel Caleb suspended for Alabama
BLACKSBURG, Va. -- Virginia Tech redshirt freshman running back Joel Caleb has been suspended for the Hokies' opener against Alabama.
Caleb said before practice Tuesday that the one-game suspension is for a violation of a team rule, but did not provide any additional details.
The 6-foot-2, 203-pound Caleb, a former high school quarterback in Richmond who was recruited as a wide receiver, has switched to tailback for the Hokies. Virginia Tech is thin at the position after the arrest, and subsequent dismissal from the program, of last year's starter, Michael Holmes.
The Hokies play the two-time defending national champions on Aug. 31 in Atlanta.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NCAA settles concussion suit with $70M fund
- OU RB meets with police over alleged assault
- Buckeyes' Miller throwing ahead of schedule
- Manziel A&M jersey expected to fetch $100K
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Virginia Tech Hokies Maroon Coaches Performance Polo