Mike Davis to start for Gamecocks
COLUMBIA, S.C. -- Sophomore tailback Mike Davis will get the first chance to replace Marcus Lattimore at South Carolina.
Gamecocks running backs coach Everette Sands said Tuesday Davis would get the start against North Carolina on August 29th. It's the first time since the 2009 season that someone other than Lattimore will open the year at tailback. The injured Lattimore left after his junior season as South Carolina's all-time leader with 38 rushing touchdowns.
Davis is the 5-foot-9, 215-pound younger brother of former Clemson standout James Davis. The younger Davis rushed for 275 yards and two touchdowns last season. He was an offensive bright spot in last Saturday's scrimmage with 53 yards on four carries.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Four QBs, two RBs named Heisman finalists
- Report: Ducks suspend TE for snowball mob
- Clowney gets ticket for driving 110 in S.C.
- Iowa tackle Scherff to return for senior year
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- All Conference Men's South Carolina Gamecocks Garnet SEC State T-Shirt