Two OU defenders out of opener
NORMAN, Okla. -- Cortez Johnson and Chuka Ndulue will not play for Oklahoma against Louisiana-Monroe in Saturday's season opener, Sooners coach Bob Stoops confirmed during his Monday media conference.
Johnson, a junior, is listed as the Sooners' starting cornerback alongside All-Big 12 cornerback Aaron Colvin. A transfer from Arizona, Johnson was arrested in December on a complaint of possession of a controlled substance. With Johnson out, redshirt freshman Zack Sanchez is the probable starter opposite Colvin after a strong showing in OU's preseason camp.
Ndulue, a junior, is the lone returning starter along the defensive line for OU. He was arrested in June because of a complaint of driving under the influence. With Ndulue sidelined, the Sooners could turn to junior college transfer Quincy Russell to step in and start at defensive tackle. Redshirt freshman Jordan Wade is another potential option.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ohio State QB Miller out for season
- Under Armour unveils new Notre Dame unis
- Oklahoma suspends RB Mixon for season
- Golson: Irish supporting suspended players
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's Oklahoma Sooners 2014 Allstate Sugar Bowl Champions Locker Room Legacy 91 Hat