Colorado tabs QB Connor Wood
BOULDER, Colo. -- Connor Wood emerged from spring ball as the Colorado Buffaloes' starting quarterback for the second straight season. Unlike last year, he kept that title in the fall, fending off flashy freshman Sefo Liufau.
The junior, who transferred from Texas two years ago, will be lining up under center Sunday when the Buffaloes begin their new era against Colorado State, which will name its staring QB on Thursday, in the annual Rocky Mountain Showdown at Sports Authority Field in Denver.
Last year's starter, Jordan Webb, is dealing with a knee injury and an assault charge. Nick Hirschman transferred to Akron, and Shane Dillon left the team to play basketball, opening the door for Wood, who played in seven games last season and started against Washington.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Grantham opts to stay at L'ville over Raiders
- Penn State president: Freeh report 'not useful'
- Report: EKU player hurt in fight with Wildcats
- Two ex-Vanderbilt players convicted of rape
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
2013 COLLEGE FOOTBALL KICKOFF
It's almost that time again, and the BCS's final season looks to go out with a bang. Preview »
- Nike Men's Colorado Buffaloes Grey Football Practice Legend T-shirt