Seven FCS teams cash in via upsets
Eastern Wash. Stuns Oregon St.
Big paydays. Even bigger upsets. That is exactly what the seven FCS teams that won on the road against FBS teams got through Saturday as the college football season opened in earnest.
FCS Steals The Spotlight
The best way to sum up the FCS over FBS upsets that kicked off the new season in rollicking fashion? Surprising but not shocking. From ESPN Stats & Info:
• 4 FCS teams won against FBS teams Saturday alone, bringing the total to 7 for Week 1. It's the most wins by FCS schools over FBS schools in a single week since 2000.
• Perhaps the biggest shocker was Eastern Washington winning at No. 25 Oregon State. It marked just the third time since 2000 that an FCS school beat a ranked FBS school.
• McNeese State won in dominating fashion, 53-21 at South Florida. The 32-point win is the largest by an FCS school over an FBS school since Troy beat Louisiana-Monroe by 32 in 2001.
• Could it continue next week? Sam Houston State -- a 74-0 winner over Houston Baptist on Saturday -- plays at Texas A&M.
The seven FCS teams raked in a total of $2.375 million, ranging from $225,000 to $450,000 each.
Eastern Washington became only the third FCS (formerly Division I-AA) team to beat a ranked FBS team, knocking off No. 25 Oregon State 49-45. In similarly stunning fashion, North Dakota State shocked defending co-Big 12 champion Kansas State 24-21 on Friday.
McNeese State routed South Florida 53-21, the most points scored by an FCS team against an FBS opponent. Also, Eastern Illinois dominated San Diego State 40-19, Northern Iowa beat Iowa State 28-20, Towson defeated UConn 33-18 and Southern Utah edged South Alabama 22-21.
The breakdown of payouts each team received from its FBS opponent (note: the NCAA recognizes eight FCS-FBS upsets, including Samford over Georgia State, but Georgia State is transitioning from FCS to FBS designation and is not yet an FBS member):
• Eastern Washington, $450,000 from Oregon State;
• McNeese State, $400,000 from South Florida;
• North Dakota State, $350,000 from Kansas State;
• Northern Iowa, $350,000 from Iowa State;
• Eastern Illinois, $325,000 from San Diego State;
• Towson, $275,000 from UConn;
• Southern Utah, $225,000 from South Alabama
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Florida St., Auburn set for BCS title game
- Non-BCS bowls: Mizzou-Okla. St., Wis.-S.C.
- Sugar: Bama faces Sooners in rare meeting
- Orange consolation prize for OSU, Clemson