NCAA denies Davonte' Neal's appeal
Wildcats coach Rich Rodriguez said during his weekly news conference on Monday that the transfer from Notre Dame has been denied eligibility. He said the school plans another appeal, but was not optimistic.
Neal, who played at in-state power Scottsdale Chaparral High School, transferred from Notre Dame this past summer to be closer to his girlfriend and newborn daughter.
Arizona filed an appeal with the NCAA last month asking that Neal be allowed to play this season instead of having to sit out under transfer rules.
Neal was Notre Dame's primary punt returner last season during its run to the national championship game.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
- A&M, UCLA agree to home-and-home series
- Wife believes Sandusky 'definitely' innocent
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Riddell Arizona Wildcats Mini Speed Football Helmet