Ed Reynolds to sit out first half
STANFORD, Calif. -- Stanford senior safety Ed Reynolds will sit out the first half of the fifth-ranked Cardinal's game against Washington State on Saturday for targeting.
Reynolds was ejected from last Saturday's 42-28 victory over Arizona State after lowering his head and hitting Sun Devils quarterback Taylor Kelly in the helmet with less than seven minutes remaining to play.
Stanford coach David Shaw said Tuesday that Reynolds did not argue the call and has since expressed remorse for the hit.
Shaw agreed with the penalty, saying the punishment is necessary to discourage that activity in college football.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Winston, McCarron take home top awards
- McCarron: Saban said he's staying at Bama
- Texas' Brown: My situation hasn't changed
- A&M's Manziel ready to take it to next level
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- JanSport Youth Stanford Cardinal Football Cardinal T-Shirt