Frozen Four: final notes from championship
That was also the last time that the Hobey Baker Memorial Award winner, Jordan Leopold, also won the national championship. BU captain Matt Gilroy joins Leopold in that group.
Here are some other notes and nuggets following the 2009 Frozen Four at the Verizon Center:
2009 all-tournament team
• Forward: Tommy Wingels, Miami University
• Forward: Colin Wilson, Boston University
• Forward: Nick Bonino, Boston University
• Defenseman: Kevin Roeder, Miami University
• Defenseman: Colby Cohen, Boston University
• Goaltender: Kieran Millan, Boston University
• Most Outstanding Perfomer: Cohen
Boston University notes
• The five NCAA titles won by Boston University is tied for fourth in NCAA history (the record is nine by Michigan). This is the third title won by BU coach Jack Parker, which places him in a tie for third place in NCAA history (the record is six by Michigan's Vic Heyliger -- 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955 and 1956).
• BU's Class of 2009 posted a 100-43-21 record during its career.
• The Terriers entered Saturday successfully killing 15 of 18 penalties during the NCAA tournament. The Terriers killed seven of seven penalties against Miami.
• BU posted a 27-2-3 record this year when it scored the first goal of the game (8-4-1 when opponents scored first).
• BU posted a 21-1-13 record since Jan. 16.
• The Terriers posted a 17-0-2 record over their last 19 games played away from home this season.
• BU finished 23-1-1 when it led after the first period and 8-1-3 when it was tied after the second period.
• The Terriers posted a 10-3 record in one-goal games (nine-game winning streak).
• With a goal and an assist Saturday night, Nick Bonino recorded three points (one goal) at the Frozen Four. BU posted a 24-0-3 record this season when Bonino recorded at least one point in a game.
• Miami entered Saturday's game 1-of-15 on the power play during the NCAA tournament. The RedHawks were 0-of-7 on the power play against BU.
• The RedHawks are now 2-12-3 when opponents scored the first goal of the game (21-1-2 when Miami scored first).
• Miami is now 0-11-2 when it trailed after the first period and 0-2-2 when tied after the second period.