UNC-Southern Miss: By the numbers
• Garrett Gore tied a CWS career record with his 20th appearance on Tuesday, matching Daryl Arenstein's record for career games set between 1970-73.
• UNC's Dustin Ackley went 5-for-6 against Southern Miss, becoming the 16th player in CWS history to record at least five hits in a game. The last five-hit game in the CWS was by Cal State Fullerton's David Cooper, who went 5-for-5 against Clemson on June 20, 2006.
• Today marked Ackley's second career five-hit game, as the other came against VMI on Feb. 22, 2009
• Ackley's five hits upped his career CWS hit total to 27, making him the all-time hits leader at the CWS. He broke the previous mark of 24 set by Stanford's Sam Fuld from 2001 to 2003. Ackley is now hitting .429 (27-63) in his career at the CWS, a total which would rank ninth all-time.
• Ackley is now hitting .576 (19-for-33) with two homers and 12 RBIs during the 2009 NCAA tournament and is 7-for-11 in Omaha.
• North Carolina's senior class has now won a school-record and NCAA-best 212 games over the past four years.
• With today's win, North Carolina's Adam Warren improved his career record to 32-4 at North Carolina. He is second on UNC's career wins list -- trailing only Robert Woodward's 34 wins between 2004 and 2007. Warren's .889 career win percentage ties Scott Bankhead (24-3 from 1982-84) for first place on UNC's all-time career win percentage list.
• Head coach Corky Palmer finishes his coaching career with a 960-493 record, including a 458-281 mark in 12 seasons at Southern Miss. His 458 wins rank second on the Southern Miss career charts.
• The 23 hits were the most surrendered by USM this season. Its previous high was 22 against Cal State Fullerton on March 6.