UNC announces changes to AD's staff
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. -- North Carolina has announced changes in responsibility for some athletic department's staff members to expand the management of its 28 varsity sports.
Athletic director Bubba Cunningham announced the changes Thursday.
Cunningham selected senior associate AD Beth Miller and executive associate AD Larry Gallo as the school's lead sports administrators.
Miller will oversee 13 sports, including cross country and men's soccer. Gallo will supervise six, including baseball and women's soccer. Four other senior associate ADs will oversee six sports.
Cunningham will be the primary administrator for football and men's and women's basketball.
Previously, the athletic director and Miller had been in charge of supervising all 28 sports.
Cunningham says the previous format worked well, as evidenced by the school's history of success, but managing each program has grown more complex.
Copyright 2012 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- Former Cal AD Barbour hired by Penn State
- UNC inviting athletes back to finish degrees
- Ohio St. fires band director in harassment probe
- C-USA chief: 'Second 5' will still be relevant
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Men's North Carolina Tar Heels Carolina Blue Coaches Performance Polo