AAC to decide on tourney sites soon
PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- The commissioner of the renamed American Athletic Conference says a decision on where to hold its basketball tournaments could come in the next two weeks.
Mike Aresco told reporters on a conference call Thursday that the former Big East is planning to sign just one-year deals with the venues for its men's and women's tournaments, and has narrowed the choices down to a handful of locations.
He confirmed that the Mohegan Sun Casino in Connecticut is among the sites being considered, and says none of the league's schools has expressed any concern about holding the tournament at a gambling venue.
He says the casino has advantages, such as restaurants, hotels and entertainment on site.
Aresco says the championship game for the men's tournament will continue to be played on the Saturday evening prior to Selection Sunday.
Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- NCAA president calls for 'scholarships for life'
- UNC hopes to set up meeting with McCants
- Survey: Colleges failing on sexual assaults
- Northwestern files brief to NLRB for appeal
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Men's Cincinnati Bearcats Point Guard Black Basketball Shorts