Jim Delany signed through 2018
- Delany Signed Through 2018
Delany Signed Through 2018
Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany received a contract extension in 2011 that was never announced publicly, the league confirmed to ESPN.com on Monday.
The league's Council of Presidents and Chancellors in 2011 approved a contract extension for Delany through June 30, 2018.
The Big Ten in 2008 announced an extension for Delany through June 30, 2013.
Delany, 65, has led the Big Ten since 1989 and recently became the league's longest-serving commissioner, surpassing Major John L. Griffith, who held the position from 1922 until his death in 1944.
Delany's contract extension ensures he'll guide the Big Ten through its next television rights negotiation. The Big Ten's current agreement expires after the 2016-17 athletic year.
MORE COLLEGE SPORTS HEADLINES
- Obama honors college athletes at White House
- Trio combine for first Bama no-hitter since '42
- NCAA considering football early signing period
- NCAA, conferences sued over scholarships
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM