Bowl game could pair OU, Nebraska
SoonerNation has learned that Fiesta Bowl officials want a 'Battle of the Big Reds'
The Sooners obviously will be disappointed if they don't make the BCS national championship game. But there could be a worthy consolation prize waiting for them in the Fiesta Bowl.
Another "Battle of the Big Reds."
Yes, the Fiesta Bowl has its eyes on pairing Oklahoma with Nebraska if the Cornhuskers are eligible for a BCS bowl at-large berth, SoonerNation has learned.
Along with Nebraska, the teams the Fiesta Bowl is eyeing with its at-large selection:
• Stanford: The Cardinal should finish 11-1 and might feature the Heisman winner in QB Andrew Luck.
• Wisconsin: The Badgers will be off the board if they beat Penn State and advance to the Big Ten title game.
• Michigan: Pitting QB Denard Robinson against OU or OSU would be tough to turn down.
• Penn State: The Nittany Lions are a long-shot to be eligible for an at-large, but they obviously would draw interest.
• Houston: With Boise State out of the mix, the Cougars are in position to snag an automatic bid; Kevin Sumlin vs. his former boss?
-- Jake Trotter, SoonerNation
Even though OU has been to Glendale three of the last five years, the Fiesta Bowl is still committed to snatching the Sooners if available.
Fiesta Bowl officials are concerned about OU fans feeling some fatigue about another trip to Arizona. The Sooners hammered Connecticut there last year, but the school fell well short of selling out its ticket allotment.
The Fiesta, however, believes that a potential matchup with former conference rivals Oklahoma and Nebraska would become a hot ticket for both fan bases and generate big TV ratings nationally.
With the first BCS at-large selection on the board this year, the Fiesta can make it happen. Of course, Nebraska has to do its part. To be eligible for an at-large berth, a team has to win nine games and finish in the top 14 of the BCS.
At the moment, the Huskers have eight wins and are ranked No. 16. If they beat Michigan and Iowa to end the regular season, they'll be 10-2 and ranked well inside the top 14. That might not be enough to get to the Big Ten championship game. But it will be more than enough to make Nebraska an attractive BCS at-large selection.
The Huskers could still end up winning the Big Ten and making the Rose Bowl. And the Sooners could still make it to the national title game.
But if neither happens, both could have one big-time consolation matchup. And one of college football's former great rivalries could have another day in The Valley of the Sun.
Jake Trotter covers University of Oklahoma football for SoonerNation. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Submit questions to his mailbag and look for answers every Friday.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Longhorns dismiss 2 for violating team rules
- Bama opens spring practice in search of QB
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- adidas Youth Nebraska Cornhuskers #8 White Replica Football Jersey