Early UNM preview
The Lobos welcome a new coach that Longhorns fans should know
UNM record in 2011: 1-11
Last meeting against Texas: 1988: Longhorns won 47-0 in Austin.
All-time against Texas: 0-2
Rushing: James Wright; 22 yards per game.
Passing: B.R. Holbrook; 60 percent completion rate, 135.5 passing yards per game, seven interceptions and four touchdowns
Receiving: Ty Kirk; 47 catches for 276 yards
Tackles: Bubba Forrest (85)
Sacks: Five players tied with one.
Interceptions: Dante Caro and Zach Dancel (1)
More on UNM
Albuquerque Journal UNM beat writer Rick Wright talks about Bob Davie's transition and lack of any solid athletes for the Lobos. Q&A
Three things to watch
1. The scoreboard light up: Davie might be known as a defensive coach, but he does not have the athletes to stop Texas. This one could get ugly early and Texas will not let up as it needs to curry favor with a fan base that is itching for a big win against anyone.
2. The freshmen: By the end of this game everyone should have a pretty good guess at which freshmen will redshirt and which ones will see playing time in 2012. A couple of spots to watch will be at tackle, where Kennedy Estelle might get a shot, and at linebacker to see which of the freshmen gets the most playing time.
Also, if Connor Brewer were to play in an early game, this would be the one.
3. The defense: Texas has played New Mexico twice and hasn't allowed a point. Both times the score was 47-0. The Texas defense did not get a shutout in Manny Diaz's first year and this will be that unit's best shot at getting one in 2012.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- SEC hires Vincent as associate commissioner