Early Ole Miss preview
Rebels welcome a new head coach and a QB battle
2011 record: 2-10
Last meeting against Texas: Lost 19-0 in 1966 Bluebonnet Bowl
All-time vs. Texas: 1-5.
Rushing: Jeff Scott (116 rushes for 529 yards with six touchdowns)
Passing: Randall Mackey (77 of 155 for 1,112 yards, seven touchdowns and five interceptions)
Receiving: Donte Moncrief (31 receptions for 454 yards and four touchdowns)
Tackles: Mike Marry (81)
Sacks: Mike Marry (2)
Interceptions: Charles Sawyer (4)
More on Ole Miss
Jackson (Miss.) Clarion-Ledger writer Hugh Kellenberger talks about the Rebels' new coach and turning around from an abysmal 2011 season. Q&A
Three things to watch
1. The quarterback battle: This should be an interesting one. Texas fans should be familiar with one of the candidates, Bo Wallace. For a weekend, at least, it was rumored that Wallace was on Texas' radar. He will battle it out with Barry Brunetti in the fall for the starting spot.
2. Solid OL: Five of Ole Miss' offensive linemen have started at least five games each. So this is a team that can protect the quarterback and run the ball.
3. CBs a strength? The Rebels feature two junior college players at cornerback, Wesley Pendleton and Dehendret Collins. Pendleton is in his second year with the program and started 10 games last season. Collins, who transferred in January, is expected to win the other cornerback spot.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- NC State's Byrd gets 6th year of eligibility
- Ex-Fiesta Bowl chief gets 8 months in scheme
- A&M, UCLA agree to home-and-home series
- Wife believes Sandusky 'definitely' innocent
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
- Nike Texas Longhorns Mini Rubber Football