Here's a surprise: Baltimore loves its football team. Mayor included.
So how will Stephanie Rawlings-Blake prepare to watch her city's Ravens face the San Francisco 49ers on Sunday in Super Bowl XLVII?
With music. Specifically, with this 16-song Spotify playlist that she shared exclusively with Playbook.
Said Rawlings-Blake: “Ravens fans -- no matter where they come from -- are united by the anthems that remind us of the team we love. When we hear the signature bass line of ‘Seven Nation Army’ or the looping guitar riff from ‘Hot in Herre,’ we start seeing purple. This playlist is going to get my blood pumping this weekend as we watch the Ravens win the Super Bowl.”
Here's the list (with some explanation from the mayor's office):
1. “Lose Yourself” by Eminem -- This song is often heard as the Ravens prepare to take the field during home games at M&T Bank Stadium.
2. “Hot in Herre” by Nelly -- Ray Lewis has announced that he will retire from professional football after Super Bowl XLVII. No Baltimore Ravens playlist would be complete without a nod to Ray Lewis’ squirrel dance!
3. "Anything Could Happen” by Ellie Goulding
4. "Two Tickets to Paradise” by Eddie Money -- This song is in honor of the Baltimore Ravens’ Ed Reed, who sang the song a capella on Jan. 28 at the Super Bowl rally.
5. "Pump It Up” by Elvis Costello & The Attractions
6. “Purple Haze” by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
7. "Put On” by Young Jeezy, Kanye West
8. "In the Air Tonight” by Phil Collins -- Ray Lewis says he listens to this song before every game -- if it’s for inspiration, it obviously works!
9. "Otis” by Jay-Z, Kanye West, Otis Redding
10. “Song 2” by Blur
11. “Let Me Love You” by Mario -- Grammy-nominated entertainer Mario grew up in Baltimore and, through the Mario Do Right Foundation, has done great things for youth in our city who have been negatively affected by drug or alcohol abuse in the home. Both Mario and the Baltimore Ravens serve as examples that with hard work and determination, our kids can overcome any adversity and see great success.
12. "Seven Nation Army” by The White Stripes -- “Seven Nation Army” has been pumping up crowds at M&T Bank Stadium since 2003, but in the 2011 season, it became the Ravens’ semi-official chant anthem. It’s sure to strike terror in the hearts of our foes when the stadium is filled to the brim with fans in purple, all chanting this song!
13. “Start Wearing Purple” by Gogol Bordello
14. “This is How We Do It” by Montell Jordan -- This is one of Mayor Rawlings-Blake’s favorite songs to get pumped up and in the groove. It came out in 1995, the year she was first elected to the Baltimore City Council!
15. "Run This Town” by Jay-Z, Rihanna, Kanye West
16. “Rock and Roll All Nite” by Kiss -- You can guarantee that this song will be playing all over Baltimore when the Ravens win the Super Bowl!