Jerry Jones acknowledges photo flap
OXNARD, Calif. -- Photos of Jerry Jones that surfaced on the Internet last week were a misrepresentation, according to the Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager.
"Someone has misrepresented photos taken at a restaurant five years ago for their own purposes, and so I'm just not going to comment," Jones said Sunday.
Jones was pictured at a Dallas restaurant with two females in suggestive positions. He acknowledged he has known about the photos, which were posted last week by the sports blog TerezOwens.com, for the past five years but would not elaborate on what was misrepresented or whether authorities are involved.
Deadspin.com reported last week that Dallas resident Frank Hoover claims he received the photos from people who wanted to blackmail Jones. Hoover also released emails to Jones' attorney, Levi McCathern, asking to meet with Jones.
Since the photos were publicized, Jones had not made any comment or appearances with the team. He was not on the field during pregame of the Cowboys' preseason opener against the San Diego Chargers on Thursday and did not make himself available to the media after the game. Jones rarely skips speaking to reporters after games.
On Saturday, Jones went to great lengths to avoid the media, arriving on the field for practice from a back gate closer to where the fans park. After practice he walked off the field with coach Jason Garrett and signed a few autographs before departing through the training room to an awaiting SUV that took him back to his hotel room.
Jones, who coughed several times as he spoke Sunday, said the reason he avoided the media was because he was not feeling well, which drew laughs and a sly smile.
While Jones would not discuss the photos, he did address a TMZ video that showed NFL vice president of officiating Dean Blandino getting off the Cowboys' luxury bus last week outside a Hollywood nightclub. Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones, who also was in the video, is a member of the league's competition committee.
According to sources, Blandino was on the bus for only a matter of blocks after he was picked up following dinner and left shortly after entering the club to take a cab back to his hotel.
Jerry Jones said he has not heard from the NFL or another team expressing any displeasure or concern about the video.
"I just don't have a problem with it at all," he said, "and I don't deem it inappropriate at all. Part of Blandino's job during the offseason is to network with the clubs; that's a good thing. Officiating is doing a good job, and I just don't have a problem with that. As you know, our bus is an area that we entertain, and that's what we do. So I just don't have a problem with that."