Discussion

Yanks not concerned by gaping hole

The Yankees do not need to get themselves another All-Star to man the keystone.

Updated: February 18, 2004, 11:14 AM ET
By By Jim Baker | MLB Insider
As of this morning, Enrique Wilson appears to be the frontrunner for the Yankees second base job. "We have some other options, but I think Enrique can do it," manager Joe Torre told Dan Martin of the New York Post. "Enrique has been a regular player before," Torre said. "He's more familiar with the middle of the infield than third base."

Wilson is 30 years old and his high water mark in single-season plate appearances came in 1999 when he topped out at 368. He has a little bit of power (having topped .400 three times in short stints), doesn't walk much and is a miserable base stealer with a 13 for 30 lifetime record in that department. His career on base percentage is under .300.

His big claim to fame was that he has handled the great Pedro Martinez in his brief exposure to him in his career through the 2003 season. The Yankees tried to exploit this anomaly by starting him against Martinez twice in the American League Championship Series last year. He managed a single in seven at bats.

ALSO SEE

MORE MLB HEADLINES