As a player, Puckett made everyone happy
Editor's Note: Jim Caple covered the Twins as a beat writer for the St. Paul Pioneer Press from 1989-93 and then as the national baseball writer from 1994-99.
I don't know where the funeral is going to be because there isn't a church big enough to hold everyone.
I have never covered any athlete who was more universally liked and admired than Kirby Puckett. What Michael Jordan was to basketball and Chicago, Puck was to baseball and Minnesota. Indeed, the Twins used to wear T-shirts ...
Read full story
Kirby Puckett: 1960-2006
Hall of Fame outfielder Kirby Puckett died at the age of 45. He was a 10-time All-Star and won two World Series rings in 12 seasons with the Twins.
• Puckett dead at 45 ...
• Players, fans mourn Puckett
• Twins to honor Puckett
• Stark: Greatness personified
• Gammons: Remembering Puck
• Caple: No one as likable as Puck
• Transcript: 911 call
• Kurkjian: A game for the ages
• Rojas: Big Papi's idol
• Puckett's highs and lows
• ESPN.com voices on Puckett
• SportsNation: Your memories?
• Gallery: Puckett in photos
• Wiley: Trial and error (from '03)
• Hall of Fame:
Election | Induction | Speech
• Career: Highlights | Statistics