My Shot: Earl Woods
The following interview appeared in the February, 2004 issue of Golf Digest.
Clubs like Augusta National don't discriminate. They just don't want you. There's a difference. It's a bitch not being wanted by something or someone, which is why divorces are so difficult. But I've learned to handle rejection very well. If you love yourself enough, you won't give a damn if they want you or not.
Tiger's birthday is Dec. 30, which meant he got presents at Christmas and another batch ...
Read full story
Earl Woods: 1932-2006
Born: March 5, 1932, in Manhattan, Kan., the youngest of six children
Died: May 3, 2006, in Cypress, Calif.
Education: Kansas State, sociology, graduated 1953
Profession: Retired lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army; served two tours of duty in Vietnam
Wife: Kultida; married in 1969
• Diagnosed with prostate cancer, 1998; cancer returned, 2004
Quote: "I knew Tiger was special the day he was born." Earl Woods, in a May 2000 interview with The Associated Press.
• Tiger Woods' father, Earl, succumbs to cancer
• Friends, family gather at memorial
• McDaniel: Earl was a teacher, warrior and friend
• Callahan: Earl taught us all
• Sirak: Earl was right all along
• Sobel: What's next for Tiger?
• Rosaforte: Earl taught Tiger the art of winning
• My shot: Earl Woods
• The definitive Earl Woods interview
• Golfers recall Earl Woods' discipline
• Mailbag: Did Earl change your approach as a parent?
Watch: The Earl Woods story