WVU-Louisville scores upset victory for ambition
West Virginia-Louisville marks a rare moment in college football when underdog ambition has triumphed over old-money tradition, writes Pat Forde.
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- It's tempting to believe nothing ever changes in college football. From Michigan's fight song to Notre Dame's gold helmets to Texas' hook 'em Horns, tradition rules more tyrannically than in any other sport.
But if you look beneath the static surface, you'll see periodic eruptions of ambition that have sent shock waves through all that tradition.
Twenty-three years ago a Miami program that had been an historic failure rose up to beat a Nebraska juggernaut some considered ...
Read full story
• Forde: WVU, Louisville share unlikely spotlight
• Maisel: Big East bonanza
• Fowler: Horse of a different color
• Tale of the Tape: West Virginia-Louisville
• Scouts Inc.: Both sides of ball on display
• Preview: Ready for national (title) spotlight
• Starkey: Is defense key?
• SportsNation: Weigh in on WVU-Louisville