Quotes on the death of Eddie Robinson
"Nobody in America, not even the President -- there ain't nobody out there that can out-American Eddie Robinson. He loved to wave that flag." -- Former Grambling and NFL quarterback Doug Williams
"I don't know if I would be where I am today if there had been no Eddie Robinson. He put that spark into everyone, that will to be more, to be the best." -- Williams
"Coach Rob did a lot more for us than teach us about football. He used to come through the halls ...
Read full story
Eddie Robinson, 1919-2007
• Hired at Grambling State in 1941. His first team goes 3-5, but the 1942 squad goes 9-0 and is unscored-upon.
• In 1949, Grambling's Paul "Tank" Younger signs with the Los Angeles Rams, becoming first player from historically black college to join NFL.
• Robinson becomes president of American Football Coaches Association in 1976.
• On Oct. 5, 1985, a 27-7 Grambling win over Prairie View A&M gives Robinson win No. 324, passing Paul "Bear" Bryant as winningest college football coach.
• 1997: Robinson resigns in 1997. He leaves with record of 408-165-15, a .707 winning percentage and 17 SWAC championships.
• Legendary coach Eddie Robinson dies at 88
• Wojciechowski: No ordinary life
• Curry: Robinson transcended social boundries
• Lapchick: Coach Robinson was a blessing
• Eddie Robinson on Eddie Robinson
• Photo gallery