Want the ultimate outdoor rink? Dan Craig makes it so
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Whenever Dan Craig looks to the western New York skies, which is pretty much every five minutes these days, he is not just looking for what the weather might bring in the coming hours, but rather what the future might hold for the NHL spectacle set to unfold at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Tuesday.
On Sunday morning, Craig was the first person to skate on the newly planted ice surface inside the stadium and joked that he had hoped to do so when reporters were eating lunch ...
Read full story
THE WINTER CLASSIC
The NHL hosted the first regular-season outdoor game in the United States on Jan. 1, 2008 as the Penguins and Sabres squared off at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo, N.Y.
GAME DAY• Recap: Crosby's SO winner caps magic day
• Burnside: This should not be regular NHL event
• Burnside: Grading the Winter Classic
• ZOOM: Photos from Ralph Wilson Stadium
• In-game blog
• Outdoor game brings out tailgaters
• Winter Classic highlights
NEWS• Winter Classic draws big TV numbers
• Slight rule changes for outdoor game
ANALYSIS• Burnside: Players embrace outdoors atmosphere
• Faceoff: Gimmick or celebration of heritage?
• Burnside: The man behind the outdoor magic
• Burnside: This time, more at risk for NHL
WATCH• Hradek: A preview of The Winter Classic
• Melrose: Why Winter Classic is a good thing