Louis was 'what his own community needed him to be'
Joe Louis' success in the ring may not have ended racial segregation in America, but it did help pave the way for future generations of civil rights activists.
Throughout her history, America has experienced good times and bad times.Today, she's going through a very different time: The economy is struggling and the war in Iraq shows no sign of abating. During tough times, America has relied heavily on her people. African-Americans have played significant roles in helping the nation right its ship. And few Americans, black or white, have contributed to the nation's social development quite like Joe Louis. His impact on American ...
Read full story
BLACK HISTORY MONTH
The two-part ESPN Original Production of a Dan Klores film will air Sunday, March 16, and Monday, March 17, at 9 p.m. ET on ESPN. For more information, visit espn.com/blackmagic.
• Jackson: The Young Guns of Chicago softball
• Nelson: Angels GM Reagins earns his way
• Dyer: Catching up with Christian Okoye
• Hunt: Moore didn't see himself as pioneer
• Adande: Tisdale relishes act as musician
• Hammann: Mavs scout has Senegal connection
• Tanber: Agents address challenges in business
• Lapchick: Charlie Scott's Tobacco Road odyssey
• Tanber: Solomon works for MLB diversity
• Dyer: Robeson a vibrant presence at Rutgers
• NYC sees resurgence in amateur boxing
• Buckheit: Catching up with Dominique Dawes
• Kreidler: Inside Webber's historical collection
• Drehs: Payton's legacy raises donor awareness
• Buckheit: Travis Grant a scoring machine
• E-ticket: Kareem's 'On the Shoulders of Giants'
• Keri: Bob Gibson's season for the ages
• McNeil: Joe Louis a reflection of his era
• Lapchick: College athletes courageous
• Houston: McVey was tough, 'game to the core'
• Voepel: Parents, fellow coaches inspired Stringer
• Schlabach: Teammates restore Patterson's place
• O'Neil: No easy solution to plight of HBCUs
• O'Neil: A weekend on Alcorn State's tough road
• Rittenberg: Edmonds first to monogram at ND
• Weiner: Macalester's Hudson no longer forgotten
• Griffin: Jack Trice a strong figure at ISU
• Weiner: OU gymnast raises the bar
• Sylvester: Moments changes lives
• Adande: Trail Blazers live the 'Dream'
• Rhoden: Williams reached NFL promised land
• Dyer: Soccer player overcomes adversity
• Barkow: Spiller on a mission