Long before Rice, Hutson defined WR
In an era when the passing game was not a major part of offenses, Don Hutson revolutionized the position, setting records and standards for future greats, writes Mike Sando.
If Jerry Rice redefined the receiver position in the NFL, someone had to have defined it.
Don Hutson was up to the task.
The man credited with inventing pass routes caught 99 touchdown passes in 116 games for the Green Bay Packers from 1935 to 1945. The record stood until Steve Largent caught his 100th and final touchdown pass 44 years later.
Hutson, who died in 1997 at age 84, held 18 NFL records when he retired. He ranked third on ESPN.com's list of all-time ...
Read full story
BEST WIDE RECEIVERS
In Part 1 of a two-part report, Scouts Inc. ranks today's wide receivers from 1 (Randy Moss) to 64 (James Jones). In Part 2, ESPN.com ranks the top 10 wide receivers of all time. In the first presentation of this occasional series, ESPN.com ranked the all-time best QBs in February. | Discuss
HOT READ PART 1: Today's best WRs• Scouts Inc.: Ranking top receivers 1-64
• Debate: Randy Moss vs. T.O.
• 49ers CB Nate Clements on his top 10
• SportsNation: Rank the top 10
• Hashmarks blog: Mosley take on top 64
• Scouts Inc.: Ranking wideouts in draft
• Floyd Reese: Scouting criteria for WRs
HOT READ PART 2: All-time best WRs• Sando: Receivers revisited
• Sando: Jerry Rice is No. 1, but who's next?
• Zoom Gallery: Top 10 receivers of all time
• Sando: Who is Don Hutson?
• SportsNation: Wide receiver quiz
• SportsNation: Rank the all-time best
• Debate: Current WRs who belong in top 10
• Green, Sando on best WRs in history
• Luksa: Bob Hayes an overlooked great
BEST QUARTERBACKS OF ALL TIME• Sando: Ranking the all-time great QBs
• ZOOM gallery: Top 10 QBs of all time
• Chadiha: Ranking the best QBs by decade
• Klancnik: Best QBs by jersey numbers
• Scouts Inc.: Ranking the top 64 QBs of today
• SportsNation: Rank the greatest QBs | Vote
• SportsNation: Think you know QBs?
• Super Bowls: Ranking every QB's performance