Updated: May 3, 2008, 5:52 PM ETBy Kieran Mulvaney
Saturday, 10:20 a.m. ET -- De La Hoya's futureOscar De La Hoya has stated unequivocally that this is his final year as a professional fighter. Of course, the Golden Boy has a habit of making categorical statements before ("I want to retire at the age of 30," "I will never fight Fernando Vargas," "I am in the best shape of my life"), but when he sat down with a few of us earlier this week, he seemed pretty resolute in his determination, and seemed almost wistful as he considered the decision. "It's been the most difficult decision that I've had to make, to convince myself and prepare myself for retirement," he said. "History will show you that it's the most difficult thing for a fighter, any fighter. It took me a while, it took me a long time, but I'm ready to go. You talk to the wife, you talk to the family, you talk to the father -- my father told me, 'You should have retired four years ago. You should have retired after the Vargas fight.' So, the one I had to convince, that took a lot of time, was myself. Because I'm the fighter. I'm the stubborn one. 'I can still do this at 40.' It was just very, very difficult. I'm set. I'm ready to go. Three more big fights this year, then we're out." -- Kieran Mulvaney
To continue reading this article you must be an Insider
We see that you are not an ESPN Insider. Upgrade today and gain access to our exclusive coverage.