Like the '83 Oilers, must these Pens lose before they can win?
DETROIT -- So, here's the Stanley Cup version of the Pythagorean theorem. Before a monumental step is taken, there must be a monumental tumble, and we're not talking about Marc-Andre Fleury tumbling onto the ice before Game 1.
The theory goes, if you want to walk up the NHL playoff mountain, the tumble has to happen on that last step in full view of the summit, before you can know how to reach the peak.
It was so with the Detroit Red Wings. Before winning three ...
Read full story
STANLEY CUP FINALS -- GAME 1
READ• Ah, so this is experience: All of the pre-Cup finals talk pinned the Wings' experience against the Pens' talented youth. Well, after Detroit's win, we saw exactly what all the hubbub was about. Burnside
• Game 1's defining moment: What was the defining moment of Game 1? A controversial no-goal goalie interference call could have derailed the Red Wings. Instead, Detroit prevailed. Notebook
• Conn Smythe Watch: Who are the front-runners for playoff MVP? Here's how things stand after Game 1 of the Cup finals. Story
• The Crosby File: How did Sidney Crosby fare in his first Cup finals game? Check out our game-by-game report for the Pens' captain. Story
• The First-Ever Suit Off: The best hockey analyst in the U.S. versus the best hockey analyst in Canada. Mullet vs. buzzcut. It's Melrose versus Cherry in the First-Ever Stanley Cup Finals Suit Off! Vote
• Hradek's instant analysis: One of the more intriguing subplots to the Cup finals? Both coaches fighting for the right matchup. Blog
WATCH• NHL Minute: E.J. & Scott break down Game 1
• Holmstrom talks about disallowed goal
• Hradek's Q&A with Wings' Nicklas Lidstrom
• Hradek's Q&A with Penguins' Max Talbot
• Hradek's Q&A with Brooks Orpik
• Melrose and Cherry on Game 1
• Levy and Melrose talk to Game 1 hero Osgood