1980: A miracle impossible to forget
In Page 2's tour of the most memorable sports years, Mary Buckheit nominates 1980 because of the "Miracle on Ice" -- even though she wasn't even born yet.
I want to tell you that 1980 was absolutely, indisputably the most unforgettable year in sports history. But I can't take this position without first admitting one thing:
I don't remember any of it. Not one lick.
You see, I was born in 1980. I existed for only four months of that year. But from what people tell me, it was a spectacular sports year. And I believe them.
Now, before you discredit my argument by claiming that I'm too young to make it, might ...
Read full story
Page 2's Most Memorable Sports Years
With 2008 already full of amazing moments, Page 2 is looking back at the greatest years in sports history.THE YEARS
• Jonah Keri on 1961: The year of the dynasty
• Jim Caple on 1968: A year of unrest
• Jim Baker on 1969: New York, New York
• David Schoenfield on 1972: AL in trouble
• Eric Neel on 1978: Greatest duel ever
• Mary Buckheit on 1980: A miracle
• Mike Philbrick on 1984: Bridging the gap
• Paul Lukas on 1986: Three great weeks
• DJ Gallo on 1994: The good old days
• Scoop Jackson on 1998: Still resonates
• Kieran Darcy on 2001: Darkness, and light
• Patrick Hruby on 2004: End of exuberance
• PollCenter: Best year ever -- '80, '86, '98, '01 or '08?