1961: The year of the dynasty
In Page 2's tour of the most memorable sports years, Jonah Keri looks at the greatest year for sports dynasties, 1961.
Any number of events can make a sports year memorable. A major scandal, a bad bounce in a huge game or a dunderheaded decision for the ages can be enough. But one sports year stands out for nothing more than sheer greatness. That's 1961, the year of the dynasty.
You could trace the New York Yankees' dynasty back to 1936, when Joe DiMaggio took over for Babe Ruth as the team's main attraction and ushered in a new era, one that saw the Bronx Bombers win four World Series ...
Read full story
Page 2's Most Memorable Sports Years
With 2008 already full of amazing moments, Page 2 is looking back at the greatest years in sports history.THE YEARS
• Jonah Keri on 1961: The year of the dynasty
• Jim Caple on 1968: A year of unrest
• Jim Baker on 1969: New York, New York
• David Schoenfield on 1972: AL in trouble
• Eric Neel on 1978: Greatest duel ever
• Mary Buckheit on 1980: A miracle
• Mike Philbrick on 1984: Bridging the gap
• Paul Lukas on 1986: Three great weeks
• DJ Gallo on 1994: The good old days
• Scoop Jackson on 1998: Still resonates
• Kieran Darcy on 2001: Darkness, and light
• Patrick Hruby on 2004: End of exuberance
• PollCenter: Best year ever -- '80, '86, '98, '01 or '08?