Even in historically bad year, Apple Cup matters to players and fans
Upon being hired as Washington State's head football coach, Paul Wulff, a former Cougars offensive lineman, announced to a friendly audience that he didn't care much for the color purple.
Of course, everyone knew exactly what he was talking about.
The Washington Huskies wear purple. That means the color isn't welcome on the eastern side of the state.
"That is a battle that we will win," Wulff said. "We are going to go after those guys, and we're going to ...
Read full story
Sometimes conference crowns are up for grabs. Bowl bids often hang in the balance. But rivalry week is about more than that. Pride, bragging rights and some unique trophies are on the line when rivals meet. What could be better -- or more important -- than that?
Rivalry Week: A Closer Look
• Miller: Civil War features rare great matchup
• Bennett: Backyard Brawl heats up Big East
• ACC: Plenty on the line in Commonwealth Cup
• Big 12: Bedlam Series has BCS implications
• SEC: Bama looks to stop recent skid vs. Auburn
• Blue state or red state? UNC-NCSU divided
• The "Big Game" isn't just any game
• Holy War: BYU-Utah spice things up
• SEC: Tennessee has dominated Vandy
• Big Ten: All about the trophy hunting
• Washington: Apple Cup always matters
• Big Ten: OSU-Michigan still The Game
• SportsNation: Do you know your rivalries?
• Vote: Who will be the rivalry week winners?