Not just any game, the 'Big Game'
Everyone loves the Big Game between Stanford and California. Everyone. Why?
Because without the Big Game, you wouldn't have "the most amazing, sensational, dramatic, heartrending, exciting, thrilling finish in the history of college football."
That, of course, is longtime Bears announcer Joe Starkey's lovably befuddled call of "The Play," the miraculous five-lateral kickoff return in 1982 that concluded with Cal's Kevin Moen weaving through the Stanford band, which ...
Read full story
Sometimes conference crowns are up for grabs. Bowl bids often hang in the balance. But rivalry week is about more than that. Pride, bragging rights and some unique trophies are on the line when rivals meet. What could be better -- or more important -- than that?
Rivalry Week: A Closer Look
• Miller: Civil War features rare great matchup
• Bennett: Backyard Brawl heats up Big East
• ACC: Plenty on the line in Commonwealth Cup
• Big 12: Bedlam Series has BCS implications
• SEC: Bama looks to stop recent skid vs. Auburn
• Blue state or red state? UNC-NCSU divided
• The "Big Game" isn't just any game
• Holy War: BYU-Utah spice things up
• SEC: Tennessee has dominated Vandy
• Big Ten: All about the trophy hunting
• Washington: Apple Cup always matters
• Big Ten: OSU-Michigan still The Game
• SportsNation: Do you know your rivalries?
• Vote: Who will be the rivalry week winners?