Ranking the NHL coaches at the quarter mark
As we near the quarter mark of the NHL season, some things are coming into focus. Other issues remain fuzzy, with body-of-work judgments pending, and that's especially appropriate in a league in which your regular-season record is irrelevant roughly 17 seconds after the 82nd game ends.
There have been two coaching changes -- Joel Quenneville taking over for Denis Savard in Chicago and interim coach Rick Tocchet stepping in for Barry Melrose in Tampa Bay. I was going to say "already," ...
Read full story
2008-09: NHL QUARTERLY REPORT
• The quotes: The NHL doesn't have a Terrell Owens, but there are times when the words do start flying. Here are some memorable quotes and story lines so far. Damien Cox
• The teams: At the quarter mark, we're taking stock of all 30 clubs. Some earned top grades, while others have some serious work to do before the All-Star break. Scott Burnside
• The awards: Before the season's start, Sidney Crosby and Alex Ovechkin were picked by many to win MVP. Will those picks hold up? Right now, we're not so sure. Awards race
• Malkin's run: After a lowly finish to last season, Evgeni Malkin is proving he has no Cup finals hangover. Scott Burnside checks in with the league's best player so far. Story
• The rookie race: It looks nothing like what the preseason pundits predicted. And for the first time since the lockout, it's a wide-open race without a big-name attraction. LeBrun
• The coaches: What to make of all the coaches so far this season? Terry Frei is back again for his bench-boss rankings, looking at where they stand at the quarter mark. Story
MORE COVERAGE• Watch: Watch: Matthew Barnaby on why Crosby is still the best
• Rank 'em: Your MVP picks at the quarter mark