Shock rally past Dream, injuries
Nolan is latest in injury-plagued Dream-Shock series
Talked to a former WNBA player earlier this week about the injury factor in the league. She told me that three-plus months of WNBA play take more of a toll on players' bodies than a whole year overseas would.
"Right now," she said, "even the 'healthy' players are sore. Everyone's body is aching."
Which is not to disparage how the game is played in foreign leagues, but rather to point out just how grueling it is in the WNBA. Having a game about every three days, the travel and the ...
Read full story
Phoenix beat Indiana 94-86 Friday in Game 5 to win its second WNBA title in three years. Diana Taurasi was named Finals MVP.
WNBA Finals• Voepel: Phoenix, Finals even better in '09
• Voepel: Taurasi's season ends on high note
• Voepel: Catchings' hoop dream on hold again
• Blog: Pondexter worthy of MVP consideration
• Voepel: Finals redefining "fall classic"
• Voepel: Pondexter focused on helping others
• Voepel: Merc accomplish mission in Game 4
• Voepel: Smith helps lift Mercury
• Voepel: Pressure doesn't put off Taurasi
• Voepel: Strong start a must for Phoenix
• Voepel: Finals feature Aussie influence
• Voepel: Time to put head-butt behind us
• Voepel: Hard work pays off for Hoffman
• Voepel: January is postseason's top rookie
• Voepel: Fever win Game 3 in final seconds
• Voepel: 3-point struggles hurt Mercury most
• Voepel: Indy is where the heart is for Douglas
• Voepel: Fever know Taurasi will turn it around
• Voepel: Taylor plans to play in Game 3
• Voepel: Could Game 2 be played even faster?
• Voepel: Rookies make big impact at Finals
• Voepel: Taurasi won't re-watch instant classic
• Voepel: Game 1 a great start to Finals
• Voepel: "I let my team down," Catchings says
• Game 1: By the numbers
• Voepel: Taurasi finds healing in hoops
• Voepel: Point guards play pivotal roles
• Voepel: X's and O's finals breakdown
• Voepel: Depth (not stars) leads Merc, Fever
Video• Mercury win 94-86 for second WNBA title
• Mercury's 90-77 win forces Game 5
• Indiana takes 2-1 lead with 86-85 victory
• Fever even series with 93-84 Game 2 win
• Phoenix tops Fever in OT, 120-116
Lisa Leslie• Voepel: Leslie retires with no regrets
• Voepel: Business as usual for Leslie, Sparks
• Voepel: Leslie looks forward to retirement
Results• Complete schedule