Now that the season is over and North Carolina cut down the nets at Ford Field it is time to go to the VBDI (Vitale Bald Dome Index) to look at the future.
It is difficult to predict next season until we know which players opt for the NBA draft and see if other decide to transfer. For now I will give my early top five for the 2009-10 season:
1. Kansas. Believing Sherron Collins and Cole Aldrich will be back next season. Rock chalk Jayhawk fans should be thrilled. Bill Self has a couple of recruits coming in plus transfer Jeff Withey will help. The Morris twins will get better and better.
2. Duke. Mike Krzyzewski's squad will be solid especially if Gerald Henderson decides to return to Cameron Indoor Stadium. Kyle Singler and Jon Scheyer will have big seasons.
3. Syracuse. Jim Boeheim will have an exciting team. I love Jonny Flynn's enthusiasm and energy. The addition of Wesley Johnson, a very capable scorer who transferred from Iowa State, will be a factor.
4. Purdue. Having JaJuan Johnson, Robbie Hummel, Etwaun Moore and company back makes the Boilermakers a dangerous squad.
5. Michigan State. Let's stay in the Big Ten. Tom Izzo has Big Ten Player of the Year Kalin Lucas leading the way. Raymar Morgan, Draymond Green, Delvon Roe, Durrell Summers and Korie Lucious form a talented nucleus.
Wow, we have to wait until April 2010 in Indianapolis to see which team cuts down the nets.