Each week I'll talk about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Have you noticed the improvement in Gary Williams' Terrapins? Maryland routed Miami and Greivis Vasquez was superb! Maryland is getting better and better in ACC action. Last weekend's win over NC State was impressive too. The ACC is really wide open this season. This will be a dangerous team come tournament time.
• Tom Izzo has to be thrilled with the way Michigan State finds ways to win. The Spartans beat rival Michigan in Ann Arbor as Kalin Lucas came through big-time down the stretch. Very quietly, Michigan State has moved up in the rankings. At 8-0 in Big Ten play, this is the school's best league start ever! Meanwhile, Michigan had great expectations this year and the Wolverines have been a disappointment!
• Saint Louis coach Rick Majerus feels that his school would be better off being in the Missouri Valley Conference instead of the Atlantic 10. I couldn't agree more.The current landscape of some of the conferences is a joke. It makes sense to have the Billikens in the MVC.
• I have been asked what my thoughts are on fans running onto the court after a game. I feel that safety is so important in these arenas. That said, I don't know how you regulate it when 15,000 fans want to get onto a court. I am all for security, but sometimes there are special situations. When South Carolina upset No. 1 Kentucky, it was the first time the Gamecocks had beaten a No. 1. There was so much emotion, and the fans stormed the court. The SEC responded with a $25,000 fine against the school for its second violation of the league's rules. I can understand why the fans did their thing.
• I want to wish a speedy recovery to Samford coach Jimmy Tillette. He was recently hospitalized after collapsing during a game. Tillette has done a great job over the years.
• How good is Syracuse? Ask the Hoyas, baby! They had a super performance against Georgetown on Monday night. Jim Boeheim's team has everything necessary to make a run at the Final Four. I have said it before and I will say it again, Wes Johnson is the best Marco Polo transfer this season.
• I really believe that Solomon Alabi needs more experience and time. A lot of people project him as a lottery pick right now, but he's a kid who started playing basketball at age 15. He may be drafted based on potential alone. With another season under his belt, he could develop into a very special player.
• Creighton is in the hunt in the Missouri Valley Conference, but coach Dana Altman still felt that it was important to send a message by indefinitely suspending guard P'Allen Stinnett for conduct unbecoming to the program. Stinnett is the second-leading scorer on the team.