Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• The field for the 2015 Maui Invitational is loaded, with a number of traditional powers expected to be in attendance. UCLA, Indiana, Kansas, St. John's, UNLV, Wake Forest, Vanderbilt and host Chaminade have combined for 19 national championships, 47 trips to the Final Four and 204 bids to the NCAA tournament.
• Villanova won the Battle 4 Atlantis, beating Iowa in overtime in the final. There was a lot of confidence after Jay Wright's team clinched a big semifinal win over No. 2 Kansas. The Wildcats were not intimidated, and experience paid off in the upset -- a nice victory for Villanova and the Big East!
• Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins is not dominating like many felt he would. It is early, and he is so talented, but he must become more assertive.
• Congratulations to Oregon coach Dana Altman, who received a contract extension. He has the Ducks off to a fast start this season. Oregon showed something with an NCAA tournament run last season.
• There have been a number of scares for ranked teams this season. Vermont took Duke to the wire. Cleveland State had a double-digit lead at Kentucky in the second half. Columbia threatened Michigan State at East Lansing. Syracuse had to sweat out a win against St. Francis (N.Y.). These teams all gave great effort and showed the big boys that they have to lace 'em up and come and play every night or it could be shock city.
• After watching Drexel during the NIT Preseason Tip-Off, I think this is going to be a dangerous team come tournament time. I like Bruiser Flint's squad to win the Colonial Athletic Association and give someone fits at the Big Dance. This team battled against UCLA earlier in the season and had Arizona and Alabama on the ropes in New York City.
- Jansport Men's Villanova Wildcats Navy Tournament Basketball T-shirt