Each week I write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Injuries certainly took their toll. Georgia Tech sophomore Robert Carter Jr. will be sidelined indefinitely due to a tear of the meniscus in his left knee. The 6-foot-8 forward was almost averaging a double-double (10.3 ppg, ACC-high 9.3 rpg). Oklahoma State starting center Michael Cobbins was lost for the season with a ruptured Achilles. He was an inside defensive presence who started all 13 games at the time of his injury. Temple sixth man Daniel Dingle was lost for the season with a torn meniscus in his right knee.
• Bo Ryan has put together a number of quality teams at Wisconsin. My friends, this could his best yet. The Badgers have been so impressive, posting an unbeaten season so far. Wisconsin moved to 15-0 with a hard-fought win over Iowa on Sunday night. The Hawkeyes have had three tough losses this season -- against now highly-ranked teams (Villanova, Iowa State and Wisconsin).
• San Diego State is for real this season. The win at Kansas was the Jayhawks' first non-conference home loss since 2006. The Aztecs have lost just once, a nail-biter against No. 1 Arizona. Coach Steve Fisher has been magical with the Aztecs program. Think about it -- where was hoops at SDSU before he arrived? ANSWER: Nowhere!
• Give coach Mark Few credit. His Gonzaga team was shorthanded with Gary Bell Jr. out with a broken hand and Sam Dower also sidelined. The Zags went out and beat San Francisco last week despite the loss of the two starters. Then Gonzaga beat St. Mary's and Pacific to get off to a fast WCC start.
• USC coach Andy Enfield found out that UCLA doesn't walk the ball up the court under Steve Alford. It was blowout city as the Bruins were too talented for the Trojans.
• Congrats to Notre Dame with a fantastic win over Duke to start its play in the ACC. Hard to believe the Irish lost at home to the likes of North Dakota State and Indiana State in South Bend, then beat the Blue Devils there.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Lakers' Nash out for season with back injury
- Broncos top Chargers as Sanders grabs 3 TDs
- Cutler: Marshall's theatrics understandable
- Urlacher: Cutler an elite QB in salary only