Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• It was easy come, easy go for Baylor. Quincy Miller originally announced his return to school for next season, giving coach Scott Drew's team a major boost. Then, with the confusing new rules allowing for a change of heart, Miller opted to enter the NBA draft. The Bears still have a good class coming in, led by center Isaiah Austin and Ricardo Gathers. Pierre Jackson and Brady Heslip also return to Waco, so the cupboard is not bare.
• UCLA moved past Kentucky in the 2012-13 recruiting class standings when the Bruins added Tony Parker, a top 20 choice. Put him with Shabazz Muhammad and Kyle Anderson, plus some good returning talent and Ben Howland should be smiling in Westwood. John Calipari has a pretty nice class coming to Lexington, led by Nerlens Noel.
• The coaching carousel continued to spin wildly. Morehead State's Donnie Tyndall agreed to a four-year deal to become the next coach at Southern Mississippi. Tyndall replaced Larry Eustachy, who went out west to Colorado State.
• Auburn coach Tony Barbee made some changes with his roster. Barbee said Cedrick McAfee and Josh Langford were booted off the team for violating team rules. The coach also announced that Noel Johnson was suspended.
• New SMU coach Larry Brown also shook up his roster as four Mustangs were told they would not be on the squad next season. Among the four leaving is Jeremiah Samarrippas, who was the starting point guard last season. Samarrippas, a 5-10 guard, averaged almost seven points and 4.2 assists per game last season.
• USC landed former Tennessee forward Renaldo Woolridge, and he will be eligible to play during the upcoming season. It is like a return home, since he starred at nearby Harvard-Westlake high school. He was granted a medical waiver due to an ankle injury that limited him to only eight games his junior season.
• The Mountain West Conference and Missouri Valley Conference have announced next season's pairings for their Challenge Series. Among the interesting showdowns are: San Diego State at Missouri State on November 17th, Boise State at Creighton on November 28th, Wichita State at Air Force and New Mexico at Indiana State on December 1st, Wyoming at Illinois State on December 4th and Northern Iowa at UNLV on December 19th.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Heat edge Spurs in OT, force deciding Game 7
- Sources: Clips walk away from Celts deal
- Altidore pushes U.S. near Cup berth
- Report: Hernandez questioned on homicide