• Dan Muller helped Illinois State to its last trip to the big dance back in 1998. Now he is back at the school as head coach after 12 seasons as an assistant at Vanderbilt. You can go home again!
• One good thing for Hubert Davis as he goes to North Carolina as an assistant this season: the Tar Heels are playing in the Maui Invitational, with the field including the likes of Texas, Marquette and Illinois with its new head coach, John Groce.
• Virginia Tech suffered a blow when Dorian Finney-Smith announced his intent to transfer after one season. He started in 30 games last season and averaged seven rebounds per contest. Finney-Smith also made the ACC All-Diaper Dandy team last season.
• Providence coach Ed Cooley had to be happy with the addition of another big man for the future. Carson Desrosiers, a seven-foot center who played in 62 games at Wake Forest, decided to transfer to join the Friars. He can be a physical presence in the paint, having blocked 112 shots in just two seasons at Wake Forest, just short of the school's top 10.
• If you don't believe a player's relationship is important when a young man transfers, think about this. Former Illinois guard Crandall Head landed at SMU. One key reason: the presence of new Mustangs assistant Jerrance Howard, who originally helped recruit Head to Champaign.
• Congratulations to former Notre Dame player Joseph Price, who was named to his first head coaching job. Price was hired at Grambling. He had served at Lamar on Pat Knight's staff.
• I like the idea of having the Division I, II and III men's basketball championships all decided in the same city. The NCAA has announced that for the first time, all three titles will be awarded in the same city and over the same weekend as the culmination to the Division I tournament. Atlanta will be rocking and rolling in 2013 with even more at stake as the little guy gets a shot at the limelight.
• I am excited about my Dickie V gala this week in Sarasota. Gary Williams, Jay Wright and Lou Holtz are the honorees. Sarasota is going to be the sports capital of the world! You can still help the fight against cancer by making a donation by calling 1-800-4-JIMMYV.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Redskins' Cousins to start in place of RG III
- Sources: Texas' Brown poised to step down
- Tigers' Malzahn awarded Coach of the Year
- Source: Packers pessimistic Rodgers will play