Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• First the Big East and Syracuse came to an agreement allowing the Orange to leave early for the ACC. Then it was Pittsburgh's turn. The next season will be the last for Syracuse and Pittsburgh in the Big East. It is sad as the Orange was an original member of the conference. Both Pittsburgh and Syracuse will pay $7.5 million as part of the deal to leave. The Panthers and Orange will be done with the Big East effective July 1, 2013.
• I give Billy Donovan a lot of credit for a non-conference schedule which will prepare his team for the SEC. The Gators face Georgetown in Jacksonville, Wisconsin, Marquette, Kansas State (in Kansas City), at Arizona and at in-state rival Florida State. That is a pretty challenging agenda.
• The fact that the NCAA has disqualified several teams from the NCAA tournament has led to instant eligibility of several transfers. An example is at Iona. 6-5 Curtis Dennis is a transfer from Toledo who will be eligible right away after being granted a transfer waiver by the NCAA due to the probation on Toledo's program. Dennis appeared in 27 games last season, finishing second on the team in scoring at 12.7 points per game.
• Creighton, Wisconsin, Arkansas and Arizona State headline the field which will spend Thanksgiving in Las Vegas. Those four are part of the Continental Tire Las Vegas Invitational on November 23rd and 24th. Wow, with Doug McDermott of Creighton and B.J. Young of Arkansas, fans in Las Vegas will be treated to some special talent.
• Purdue will be having an alumni game on Saturday, August 4th at Mackey Arena. Former head coach Gene Keady will go up against the current coach, Matt Painter. Among the players scheduled to compete includes Brian Cardinal, Troy Lewis, Carl Landry, Chris Kramer and Todd Mitchell, to name a few. Several others are scheduled to appear but not play as it should be quite the reunion.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Sources: Rays manager Maddon leaving team
- Billionaire Allen donates $100M to fight Ebola
- Lakers' Nash out for season with back injury
- Broncos top Chargers as Sanders grabs 3 TDs