Each week I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• First-year Kansas State coach Bruce Weber will have an early opportunity to evaluate his new players when the Wildcats travel to Brazil for exhibition matches from August 8-17. Kansas State returns seven players with starting experience, led by Rodney McGruder, who averaged 15.8 ppg last year. St. John's transfer Omari Lawrence will also be playing, which will help the 6-3 guard get accustomed to his new team.
• NC State is another program taking advantage of a summer tour overseas. The Wolfpack will play five games in 10 days during a tour of Spain. This is a great chance for teams to grow as a unit and gain valuable experience together.
• West Virginia coach Bob Huggins had to be happy that the NCAA approved a transfer waiver request for 6-5 senior guard Matt Humphrey. He transferred from Boston College after completing his undergraduate degree in 2012. He will pursue a master's degree at West Virginia this year. As a junior at BC, Humphrey started 29 games and was second on the team in scoring with 10.3 ppg.
• In 1985, Rollie Massimino led eighth-seeded Villanova to the National Championship in a stunning win at Rupp Arena over John Thompson's Georgetown Hoyas. The 77-year-old currently coaches the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics's Northwood College, in Florida. Massimino will turn back the clock when his Seahawks return to Rupp Arena for an exhibition game against the Kentucky Wildcats on November 1.
• Congrats to Minnesota coach Tubby Smith, who agreed to a contract extension with the university through the 2016-17 season. He is entering his sixth season with the Gophers.
• Mississippi State suffered a setback when 6-1 incoming freshman Jacoby Davis suffered a torn ACL in his left knee. The injury will likely sideline him for the upcoming season. New coach Rick Ray signed Davis, as his first recruit to go to Starkville. It is a definite blow to a team, which already lost the likes of Dee Bost (graduation), Arnett Moultrie (NBA draft) and Rodney Hood (transferred to Duke).
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Chiefs' Smith (spleen) out against Chargers
- Shaw gets start for Browns; Hoyer likely out
- Richt: Bulldogs RB Gurley heading to NFL
- Lynch fined $11K by NFL for obscene move