Each week, I'll write about the sport I love, college basketball:
• Talk about nervous time. Do you think the sale of Maalox has gone up among UCLA fans over the NCAA's inquiry on the status of future diaper dandy phenoms? We will see what happens with Shabazz Muhammad, Kyle Anderson and Tony Parker.
• The Battle 4 Atlantis tournament field is loaded, with Louisville, Missouri and Stanford in the field. I love the match-up between two rising stars in the coaching profession -- VCU's Shaka Smart against Memphis' Josh Pastner. November has its share of intriguing games this season.
• Providence got some mixed news in regard to diaper dandy Ricky Ledo. The NCAA informed Providence that the eligibility waiver for Ledo has been partially approved and he will be allowed to practice with the team but he can't compete in games. The school said they were excited that Ledo has the opportunity pursue his education and be part of the team.
• Love the fact that Tom Izzo and Michigan State are having a Jenison weekend this season. The Spartans will return to Jenison Fieldhouse on December 14-15. There will be an alumni game on the 14th, followed by a contest against Tuskegee on the 15th. Of course the schedule over the first two months of the season also includes Kansas, Texas and Connecticut!
• I recently saw Notre Dame coach Mike Brey and he is excited about the upcoming season and his new 10-year contract. The Irish return big man Jack Cooley and guards Jerrian Grant and Eric Atkins. All three averaged more than 12 points per game last season.
• Congratulations to Georgia State coach Ron Hunter on his new six-year deal. The former IUPUI coach led Georgia State to a 22-win campaign last season and was rewarded for his efforts.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Bumgarner earns MVP after five-inning save
- Lakers expect Randle to miss rest of season
- A-Rod eligible for Yanks as suspension ends
- Sources: Maddon, Cubs on verge of contract