• Wisconsin suffered a major setback when point guard Josh Gasser tore his ACL in his left knee and will miss the upcoming season. The junior will redshirt this season and will have two years of eligibility remaining. Gasser averaged 6.8 points and 4.1 rebounds in his first two seasons with the Badgers. Bo Ryan's team earlier lost Mike Bruesewitz to a leg injury which will likely sideline him for the start of the season.
• I was thrilled for Rick Pitino over his contract extension at Louisville. He will remain on the Cardinals sideline through the 2022 season. My friends, I believe Pitino should be in the Hall of Fame and it is a shame that he is not enshrined in Springfield, Mass.
• An underrated player nationally worth keeping an eye on is Davidson's Jake Cohen. The 6-10 senior is one of three players in school history with over 1,000 career points, 500 rebounds and 100 blocked shots. Look for big things from Bob McKillop's team in the Southern Conference this season.
• Oklahoma State has had a roller-coaster ride leading up to this season. Swingman Brian Williams was lost for the season with a wrist injury. Coach Travis Ford did receive some good news as the NCAA has granted Jean-Paul Olukemi a waiver that will allow the senior to play during the upcoming season. The waiver was sought after a junior college class he had taken during his final semester of high school would count against his college eligibility.
• Larry Brown is back on the sidelines, coaching at SMU. He will have an important Marco Polo transfer there is former Kansas State guard Nick Russell. Here is an opportunity for Russell to reach his potential under a Hall of Fame coach.
• Once again, decision-making has factored into the status of a college basketball player. Trey Burke of Michigan, one of the premier players in the nation, violated a team rule and missed an exhibition game. Coach John Beilein said Burke learned from his error in judgment.
• In a number of exhibition games across America, you see diaper dandies as leading scorers. Will these guys get the same playing time during the regular season?
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Winston not charged in sexual assault case
- Pinkel quashes rumors, 'staying at Missouri'
- Colts' Richardson humbled by his demotion
- Brewers deal Aoki to Royals; Braun to RF?