Roundball Chatter for Nov. 12-18
• Finally, Shabazz Muhammad was declared eligible for UCLA. It took a long time to make a decision on this, and I know Ben Howland is happy to have him on the court. He will make a big difference for the Bruins.
• There were a number of interesting results during the Tip-Off marathon. I was very impressed by Xavier's win over Butler. This is a program which lost Tu Holloway and Mark Lyons, and it was still blowout city over Brad Stevens' club. New Mexico rallied from a 14-point halftime deficit to beat a very good Davidson team. I believe you will see Bob McKillop's team in the big dance as Southern Conference champion.
• If you don't believe there is parity in college basketball, think about some of these results: Albany over Washington, Florida Gulf Coast over Miami (FL), Delaware over Virginia and Sacramento State over Utah. These shockers don't happen very often in college football.
• Kevin Ollie is the perfect choice to keep Connecticut as an elite program. He needs a multi-year deal for recruiting now.
• Providence suffered a blow early on when starting point guard Vincent Council was lost with an injured leg. Council was named to the Big East Preseason First Team. Last season, he led the Big East in assists (7.5 APG) and led the Friars in scoring (15.9 PPG). Council missed the Puerto Rico Tip-Off last week.
• Not too many coaching staffs have two former head coaches serving as second lieutenants. That is the case at Marquette as Buzz Williams has former DePaul and UNC-Wilmington coach Jerry Wainwright. Now he also has former Air Force coach Jeff Reynolds on board as well.
• St. John's got a boost when Marc-Antoine Bourgault was declared eligible. Bourgault, a JUCO transfer, has two years of eligibility remaining and is listed as a junior on the St. John's roster.
• How about a salute to Bucknell? The Bison have wins over Purdue, George Mason and New Mexico State already this season.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- NFL or Michigan? Harbaugh said to be torn
- With Rondo, Mavs players like their chances
- Yankees trade Prado to Miami, get P Eovaldi
- Sources: Padres keep dealing, get J. Upton