Roundball Chatter for Jan. 28
• A team like Louisville, which has lost three in a row, will bounce back. The Cardinals lost three heartbreakers to good teams (Syracuse, Villanova and Georgetown, the last two on the road). Rick Pitino's team will respond as the season rolls on. Don't write the Cardinals off come tournament time.
• This is an important week for Big Blue Nation. Let's face it, Kentucky doesn't have many quality wins. In the SEC this season, there are not many opportunities to pick up victories to boost the resume when the selection committee evaluates the top at-large teams. It is almost a must-win situation at Mississippi, a ranked opponent. Then the 'Cats travel to Texas A&M; remember, Kentucky lost to the Aggies already at Rupp behind Elston Turner's 40 points.
• When you defend and cut down on turnovers, you have a good chance to win. That is the case for Miami as Jim Larranaga's team values each possession and does a super job containing opponents, giving up well under 60 points per game. By the way, the NCAA has made a mockery of their investigation of Miami -- this is unreal!
• I get concerned with the number of incidents of college fans storming the court after a win. I understand when a number one team goes down and their is jubilation, but it seems to be happening too often and I am afraid fans could get injured.
• Kansas has decided to retire guard Mario Chalmers' number 15 jersey at halftime of the Texas at Kansas game on Saturday, February 16. Chalmers was named 2008 Final Four's Most Outstanding Player on Kansas' National Championship team, and is remembered for his game-tying trifecta in the title game of the 75-68 overtime win against Memphis.
• Also seeing his jersey retired this week -- Reggie Miller of UCLA. This comes after Jamaal Wilkes recently had his number retired at Pauley Pavilion. Good move by UCLA!
• Speaking of the Bruins, former UCLA guard Tyler Lamb has landed at Long Beach State. He will not be eligible to compete for the 49ers until after the completion of the 2013 winter semester. Coach Dan Monson has to be happy with that addition.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Pacers shake off Knicks to seize series in 6
- Oxbow wins Preakness; Orb finishes fourth
- Couture rescues Sharks in OT, cuts Kings' lead
- Johnson eases to record 4th All-Star victory