Top five athletes
1. Joe Montana, San Francisco 49ers: 3,521 yards, 70.1%, 26 TD, 8 INTs, Super Bowl MVP.
2. Michael Jordan, Chicago Bulls: 32.5 points, 8.0 rebounds, 8.0 assists.
3. Mario Lemieux, Pittsburgh Penguins: 199 points, 85 goals, 114 assists.
4. Jerry Rice, San Francisco 49ers: 82 catches, 1,483 yards, 18.1 avg, 17 TDs.
5. Kevin Mitchell, San Francisco Giants: 47 HRs, 125 RBI, .634 slugging, NL MVP.
Top five teams
1. Detroit Pistons (63-19). Knocked off MJ in East finals and then swept Lakers for title.
2. Oakland A's (99-63). The Bash Brothers were a big hit.
3. Calgary Flames (117 points). Beat 115-point Canadiens to win Stanley Cup.
4. Michigan basketball (30-7). Won 80-79 OT thriller over Seton Hall for NCAA title.
5. San Francisco 49ers (10-6). Montana to Taylor for the Super Bowl win.
Minnesota Timberwolves and Orlando Magic join the NBA as an expansion teams
Toronto Blue Jays into Skydome
Use of kicking tees for field goals and PATs banned in college football
Pop culture trivia
Oscar winner: Driving Miss Daisy
Most popular TV show: The Cosby Show
Top of the Pops: Look Away, Chicago
Fiction bestseller: "Clear and Present Danger," Tom Clancy
Nonfiction bestseller: All I Really Need To Know I Learned in Kindergarten: Uncommon Thoughts on Common Things by Robert Fulghum
Pop culture potpourri: MTV bans Madonna's "Like A Prayer" video; the Berlin Wall comes down; Salman Rushdie publishes "The Satanic Verses," gets death threats after Iranian leader Ayatollah Khomeini issues a fatwa, goes into hiding; Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are huge hit; GPS is launched.