In Los Angeles this weekend, commuters have dubbed the shutdown of the 405 Freeway for improvements as "Carmageddon." The term might also apply to:
• NFL: The initial fears of 49ers fans, if David Carr wins the starting quarterback job this coming season.
• NASCAR: What diehard racing fans thought about Will Ferrell's 2006 movie "Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby."
• Feuds: A winner-take-all bumper-car battle between Steelers linebacker James Harrison and NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.
• Radio: The mindset of distraught NPR fans if "Car Talk" with "Frick and Frack" is ever canceled.
• MLB: A new way to determine home-field advantage for the World Series. Put Prince Fielder (NL) and David Ortiz (AL) in tricked-out Camaros and have them race from Magic Mountain in Santa Clarita to the Huntington Beach Pier this weekend. The winner earns home field for his league. Judging by Tuesday's All-Star TV ratings, this might draw more viewers.