Do or die for the Detroit Tigers Saturday. With the Tigers in the ALCS, I think back to the many great Tigers over the years such as Al Kaline, Ty Cobb, Mickey Lolich, Willie Horton, Mark 'The Bird' Fidrych, Denny McClain, Alan Trammel, Kirk Gibson, Lou Whitaker and so many more. In honor of the great Tigers of the past, here are six all-time great quotes:
1. "We're getting close to Opening Day. I don't know if that's good or bad."
-- Sparky Anderson, on prospects for the 1993 Detroit Tigers
2. "In high school, I took a little English, some science, and some hubcaps and wheel covers."
-- Gates Brown, famous Tiger pinch hitter from the 1960s who spent a short time in jail
3. "I'm supposed to be writing a book, and I can hardly read."
-- Mark "The Bird' Fidrych, asked to write an autobiography after the phenomenal start to his career
4, "I'd consider it myself, but my ears are too big. I'd look like a cab whose doors are open."
-- Jim Leyland, asked if he ever considered shaving his head
5. "There have been a lot of great defensive players. The fella who could do everything is Al Kaline."
-- Brooks Robinson, on crediting Kaline for being a great defensive player as well as a great hitter
6. "When I began playing the game, baseball was as sentimental as a kick in the crotch."
-- Ty Cobb
For more sports quotes, check out my site.
Page 2's longest-tenured writer looks back on his favorite tales. (04/13/12)
Page 2 closes its doors by celebrating the greatest hits since its launch. (04/13/12)
Actor Brian Presley talks about 'Touchback' movie. (04/13/12)
A group of Charlotte fans wants the Hornets nickname back. (04/13/12)
Don't count on uniform ads in major North American sports. (04/12/12)
... WHERE WE HEARTILY SALUTE YOUR INITIATIVE FOR SCROLLING THIS FAR DOWN THE PAGE
TELL US WHAT YOU THINK