Readers give reasons to watch NHL
We learned three things while compiling this week's reader-generated Top 10 list on odd reasons to watch the Stanley Cup playoffs that began Wednesday. (1) There are more hockey fans that the rest of us want to believe; (2) You love Canadian commentator Don Cherry; (3) And you really love "hockey facial hair" that Mike N. from Bethlehem, Pa., described as ranging from "Mike Commodore's mountain man look to Sidney Crosby's horrific mustache."
Or as Doug E. of Altamonte Springs, Fla., said to the rest of us: "Couldn't get enough of Andrew Luck's neck beard? Have we got great news for you!" If you say so, Doug.
Truthfully, some of us may not find mullets and mustaches enough reason to check out the NHL Playoffs. but our hockey-loving (or hockey-spoofing) readers founded plenty of other odd reasons to embrace the Stanley Cup for the next few weeks. Here are some of the best including a frequent love of violence:
Top 10 Odd Reasons To Watch The Stanley Cup Playoffs
10. "Three words: Brett. Favre. Zamboni," said Perry R. of West Haven, Vt. (So close, Perry. If you had said 'Tebow. Favre. Zamboni.', you would have been No. 1.)
9. "Because the Red Sox have already fallen out of contention," said Chris T. of Swampscott, Mass. (Cold, Chris, cold.)
8. "Because you watched the Masters and that's golf. Now watch a real sport," said Cullen D. of Peabody, Mass. (Hey, Cullen, there's violence in golf. Did you see what Tiger Woods did to his 9-iron?)
7. "You get three hours with no mention of Tim Tebow, Brett Favre or Tiger Woods' return to greatness," said Brian V. of Pleasantville, N. J. (OK, we've got to move on. Hockey, people, hockey.)
6. "Because 'killing the head and the body will die' is a motto here," said Craig D. of New York City.
5. "The playoffs are the pre-game show for Canadian riots," said Carey S. of Palo Alto, Calif.
4. "Wait, is the Stanley Cup a QVC show on dinnerware? Do they sell Stanley Saucers, too?" said Nick C. of Madison, Wis. (Not a fan, Nick?)
3. "You want to watch in case a Kardashian shows up and marries one or more players on the ice," said Beverly B. of Pittsburgh.
2. "Because you're a British gal and a sucker for guys with missing teeth," said Janice H. of Palo Alto, Calif.
1. "Have you ever seen a dead penguin thrown on the ice?" said Mark K. of West Palm Beach, Fla.
Don't try that last one at home, kids.
And for what it's worth, we think the Penguins will be bathing in the Cup once this is over. Real penguins are nasty little creatures but the Pittsburgh Penguins have everything including Crosby's frightening 'stache, which has its own Facebook page.
Jerry Greene is a regular contributor to ESPN.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.